Thursday, October 13, 2011

Coming out of my shell

I have a lot to be thankful for as a Disney Moms Panelist, but one of the biggest rewards I have to take away from this unique experience is that it has forced me to come out of my shell. I consider myself socially awkward and shy. I have missed out on many opportunities in that past because I have been afraid to meet new people or try new things for fear that they may make me look silly. When I found out during the application process that a video of ourselves was required for Round 2, I freaked out, as I'm sure many applicants did. The me 10 years ago would have quit right then and there. Making the video was just the beginning of things that would normally make me uncomfortable. Next was a phone interview! After making the panel, the next step was meeting all of the other lucky panelists for training...by myself! EEEK! Then a professional video shoot! An interview on TV for a local station! A phone interview for a local paper! And just recently a Moms Panel Meet & Greet! OH MY GOODNESS!

What's the point of all this? I will be the Matron of Honor in a wedding this Sunday where I have to give a speech in front of over 100 people. Terrifying, right? Not so much! Again, the me from 10 years ago would have done whatever I could to get out of speaking at this wedding. Thank goodness I pushed myself to make that video for Round 2 and continue with the phone interview for Round 3. I still have a long way to go, but I have traveled a long way to get where I am today. I always have to ask myself, "what am I so afraid of?"

What are you afraid of?

2 comments:

  1. I never, ever would describe you as "social awkward." How about loving, charismatic, and exuberant? You are stronger than you realize. And I am so proud to call you my friend! So glad we were brought together by the Mouse and Moms Panel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Youll be amazing on Sunday, just like I said you be amazing when you applied for the MP. Ij m lucky to have you and so is the mouse ;) youve definitely broken out of your shell from the way you were when we met 11 years ago. Love ya! Ps im afraid of Oompa Loompas.

    ReplyDelete