Monday, May 13, 2013

Crock Pot Citrus Chicken

Anything my son will eat is worth sharing.  I made him chicken nuggets tonight and snuck some of this chicken on his plate and he is already asking for thirds!


The original recipe is here: http://luscious-food-recipes.blogspot.com/2013/02/citrus-marinated-roasted-chicken-recipe.html

And here is what I did with it (same ingredients minus the oil, just cooked it different)


4 frozen chicken breasts
2 large lemons (1 squeezed and 1 cut up into chunks)
1 large orange (half squeezed and the other half cut into chunks)
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1T dried oregano
1 1/2 T soy sauce, low sodium
2t honey
1/4t crushed red pepper flakes (I did 1/2)

What I added to it:
baby carrots
broccoli

I don't have a roasting pan, so I brought out the crock pot.  I haven't used it in a while since we are on a low carb diet and all of my slow cooker recipes are pretty heavy on the carbs.  I thought, why not! 

I sprayed my pot with cooking spray and threw the frozen chicken on the bottom.  In a small bowl, I tossed together everything else.  It was at this point that I read in the original recipe that this is a marinade and should have been soaking for hours, but I did not have hours and skipped actually marinading it.

I turned the crock pot on high and cooked it for 3 hours, then tossed in carrots that I cut up into thin slices and broccoli.  After another hour of cooking, I chunked up the chicken, not quite shredding it because my daughter likes to eat big chunks.  I let that soak in for another half an hour and then it was served.  

This would be really good paired with white rice, but since we are low carbing it these days, we ate it as is. Hmm, it would be really yummy in lettuce wraps!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds pretty good for my picky eaters Leslie and it is allergy friendly for my son. I think I will give it a whirl and do the crock pot route to boo! Thanks for sharing :-)

    Suz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think! I liked it a lot. It has a very fresh flavor. Next time I will add more garlic and crushed red pepper.

      Delete