Tuesday, October 2, 2012

It was only a 5K

I signed up for the Happy Haunted 5K runDisney race months and months ago.  I didn't have a partner, I didn't have a plan, but I signed up.  I am (obviously) not a runner.  I still can't tell you why I clicked "Pay Now" on the registration form, but I did it anyway.  I can't tell you when it was that I decided I wasn't going to go through with it, but I made up my mind.  I was relieved.  I was done thinking about it...until I was asked to be a running partner a couple weeks before the race.  It took a week to convince me to say yes, which was a week before the race.  I was so busy during that last week that I had no time to go out and actually try to go 3 miles.  What did I get myself into?  I couldn't back out now, I made a promise.  I have to admit, it was exciting to be "one of the runners" in the group of over 40 Walt Disney World Moms Panelists that were there for reunion weekend, however most of the runners were running the 10 mile race that evening.

Disney Moms Panelist Kirsten and I before the Happy Haunted 5K

I picked up my race packet at the EXPO at ESPN Wide World of Sports.  I had never been there before and was a bit intimidated when I walked through the doors.  There were so many people, or runners I should say.  And then there was me.  I can't even tell you if my sneakers are running sneakers, but they are all I own.  I signed myself in, picked up my bib and started to walk around.  I was really excited to buy some official race merchandise, so that was my first stop.  Much to my disappointment, there wasn't anything for purchase for the 5K race.  I really mean absolutely NOTHING that said 5K on it.  The focus was massively on the Tower of Terror 10 mile race.  The exciting feeling I had was quickly fading.  I walked around a little more and then left.
Race Expo

I didn't sleep at all that night.  How could I?  I was about to "run" 3.1 miles in the early morning and was supposed to keep a 16 minute mile knowing that I couldn't come close to that.  I put on my tutu and tiara, met up with my running partner and we headed to the bus stop.

Um, wow.  There were so many people.  It was still dark when we got to the Wide World of Sports.  My heart started to race.  Why was I there?  What the hell was I thinking?  I put that feeling to the back of my mind and headed to corral D out of E.

The starting line

Fast forward to the end.  I finished.  It wasn't pretty, it wasn't fast, but I wasn't last.  We finished in just under an hour, which is about a 20 minute mile.  I'm not embarrassed to tell you that, I'm proud to say I did it.  I went back to the Beach Club Resort and celebrated with a red velvet cupcake and an orange juice.

The finish line (total calculated time from beginning with corral A)

But that isn't the reason for this post.  It was a bitter-sweet race.  For me, 3.1 miles is a huge accomplishment, but even as I was crossing that finish line, I didn't feel like it was a big deal.  I was reminded  more times than I care to count throughout the weekend that "it was only a 5K" and that others were running 10 miles that weekend.  And when I mentioned that I was disappointed that I couldn't buy anything that said I ran a 5K, again I was reminded more times than I care to count that "it was only a 5K".  The comments made me feel insignificant and like it was a kid's race.  I quickly decided I wouldn't do it again.

While filling in my husband of all of my weekend details, he said to me that the capability of others is not the same as yours and they quickly forget that and don't understand that it's not easy for everyone, but for me not to forget that I did it.  Right now, my capability is to slowly walk 3.1 miles in an hour.

Well, I am about to sign up for the 5K during marathon weekend in January where I'm sure to hear that others are running half and full marathons.  Who cares, I'm running the 5K.

**Special thanks to Disney Mom Kirsten for being my running buddy and believing I could do it.  I had so much fun sharing this race with you and getting to know you so much better!

Disney Moms Panelist Kirsten and I at the finish

5 comments:

  1. You so rock! I am very happy and proud of you. Contemplate that

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGoodness Leslie, you are an INSPIRATION to moms everywhere!! You made a commitment and you did it!! Only a 5K, my arse! You rock girl! Don't ever doubt what you did that day. Your kids and hubby must be so proud of you. I have only met you once and I am proud of you!!! And just think, with your talents, I think you could create some great merchandise for the next "only 5K"!! CONGRATULATIONS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's NOT only just a 5k. It is a big deal! You did AWESOME and you should be super proud of your accomplishments! People told me I "only" did 10 miles (meaning it was a half or full marathon), but you know what? At least I got off my butt and did something, and it doesn't matter if that something was 1 mile, a 5k, or a half. You did it! And you rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with everything that Ashley wrote there ^.

      You RAN a RACE. You are a RUNNER. No one can take that away from you :)

      Delete
  4. Finishing the first one is the most intimidating! There are a lot of people that would have never even TRIED ... so hold your head high! :-)

    We have done the Family 5K the last few years... so if you're there in January we'll probably be running that 5K right next to you!!

    Maybe we can all do it together? Congratulations again!!

    Josh Donette & Megan

    ReplyDelete